|Posted by firstname.lastname@example.org on August 16, 2014 at 10:30 AM|
July 14, 2014
1) Guild picnic
• Was on Saturday 6/7.
• Attendance was 65-70.
• Wheat beer competition winners have been posted on the Guild website and paid – see http://
• Next year: June 6, 2015. We got shelter 300! (The one with the sink and fridge.)
2) National Homebrewers Conference
• Well-attended by locals – about 45.
• Guild table at Club Night was popular and easy to set up / take down. Thanks Kevin and Marge from
Wootown and Michelle from BADASS for driving beers and props.
• Next year: San Diego.
• Might be in Baltimore or DC in 2016 or 2017. AHA was already considering it before we thought of it. Les,
Brent and John met with Ron Price, local AHA rep and reps from BURP and DC Homebrewers. They plan
to submit a bid by end of July. Proposing DC or Baltimore as host cities.
3) Guild crab feast
• Saturday 9/20, noon-6 PM.
• There was talk of moving date because it conflicts with Duclaw’s Real Ale Fest but SPBW not concerned.
• Location: Ridgely’s Run Community Center in Jessup – http://www.ridgelysrun.org
• Zymernauts are the lead (Steve Hulbert / Kevin Schenk).
• Have to exit/clean up quickly due to evening event there. Clean-up crew will be arranged in advance.
• LnL will cater.
• Tickets will remain at $40 each, increasing to $45 a few weeks prior.
• Ticket sales will start by early August. An announcement will be made.
• Bendt Fendyr will perform again.
• Homebrew challenge: $50 gift certificate to MDHB for winner.
• Should be 5 commercial casks. Will be stored in MDHB’s walk-in and Kevin will pick up Saturday morn.
4) Guild holiday party
• Saturday 12/6, 6-10 PM.
• Still need a venue large enough. Send ideas to Les.
• Still considering Heavy Seas but space issues may be concern.
• Jailbreak Brewing is expanding so that is a possible venue. Don as suggestion of a church community
• We’ll have a slide show with sponsors and display raffle winners similar to last year but spread out the
raffle winners so they don’t all storm the table at once.
• Cleanup – that night? Next day? Decision will be made well in advance and communicated to folks.
• We discussed researching liability insurance for Guild events. Maybe have just the officers insured?
• Costs don’t look too prohibitive, e.g., $300 for MASHOUT.
• BURP has details so we will ping them. Also Brent mentioned recent article in Zymurgy for homebrew club
comprehensive coverage on a per-member basis. He’s checking into that.
6) Charter update committee report
• Committee members Steve, Stewie and Dwight have made their own edits but they have not met to settle
on a draft. They will have a draft to share at the September meeting.
7) Social media
• The Free State Homebrew Club Guild now has a group page on Facebook. Please encourage members
of your clubs to join the group. Also, we encourage your clubs to post about upcoming events in this
group as an efficient way to get the word out to other clubs. The link is: https://www.facebook.com/
• Some folks who found the Guild website have asked how to find a club in their area.
• We discussed having a Maryland map on the website where viewers can click their part of the state and
the closest clubs to them will be displayed. Another option is to have them just enter their zip code.
• We discussed making large Maryland maps to hang at homebrew shops. Clubs’ locations would be shown
Baltimore Beer Week
• October 10 – 19.
• Website: http://www.baltimorebeerweek.com/
• “Pros versus Joes” competition
o Tentatively planned for Monday 10/13 at Bertha’s.
o Brew one of several styles: pale ale, IPA, a few others (maybe abbey brown).
o Public pays to enter and gets food and beer samples, voting for favorite beers.
o Top choices judged for BoS.
o No entry fee. Prizes from Bertha’s.
o Maybe limit entries to a few per club?
o Maybe allow brewers into the event at a discount?
• Baltibrew will hold another ChiliBrew (10/18) and Gruit Competition at Liam Flynn’s (date TBD).
• Tap handle turning at Mark Supik’s.
• Brewtherville Labs will do an event at Mt. Washington Tavern on 10/12.
• Baltimore Beer Babes might do something.
• Homebrew Showcase at Little Havana on 10/15.
9) Treasurer’s report
• We have $542.98. We laid out a lot of money for T-shirts but will get most of that back via sales.
• We gave 15 shirts to NHC brewers and sold 23 at a discounted price to participants at Club Night, sold 17
at full price, and we have ~80 left to sell. $15, M-XXXL, on Guild website
• We sold 13 glasses between Guild picnic and tonight’s meeting. ~30 left to sell. $4, on Guild website
10) Upcoming events
• This Wednesday 7/16 a new brewpub called Denizens Brewing will open in Silver Spring. See http://
• Saturday 8/9: Hops & History, a presentation on colonial style beers. Given at the Carroll County
Historical Society, http://www.hsccmd.org/ . MHL is point of contact.
• Aug 14-16: MASHOUT. Go to http://www.campmashout.com for tickets and info.
• Sunday 9/14: CRABS will have their annual Crabs4CRABS event.
• Saturday 9/27: MD Microbrewery Fest and homebrew competition (organized by MHL). All styles except
sour, cider and mead. Max 4 entries/brewer and 200 entries total. They need judges! Winner brewed
by Dog Brewing and served at Buffalo Wild Wings. See http://www.marylandmicrobreweryfestival.com
• September: Comptroller’s Cup (date TBD).
• October 10-19: Baltimore Beer Week.
• Saturday 10/11: BAM Oktoberfest. Homebrew competition run by Brewtherville Labs. See http://
• Saturday 11/1: Mead Day, Wootown event at Snyders. All clubs welcome
• Saturday 11/15: MALT’s Turkey Shoot at Peabody Heights. Get Brewin!
11) Upcoming meetings
• September 15, November 10, at MDHB.